Monday 20 October 2008

Me and my big mouth........

We were walking around the supermarket on Saturday afternoon, and I said to Wendy 'Tomorrow I will make us a nice roast'. It seemed a good idea. My plan was to get up on Sunday morning and walk around the marina to the shop, buy the stuff and come back and cook.

What happened was that I woke up, turned over and went back to sleep, lost in the warmth of the duvet. So the plan changed. We jumped in the car and headed off for Beachy Head to the pub. We had seen the food the last time we were there when we dropped in, after a walk, for a drink.

Wendy went to nab a table as I joined the horde of people waiting to order food. I remembered a piece of advice that my Dad gave me, he always said to find an empty part of the bar and stand there with your money in the air. It worked. The bloke finished attending to some girls and looked at me, I quickly said ' Pint of Spitfire and a diet Coke please'. He just started to get the order. 'Anything else' he said, 'Yes, two turkey roasts' I said. He popped the order into the till and gave me a wooden spoon. If looks could kill. It is a dog eat dog world.

The food came and was very nice - pig in a blanket, stuffing, turkey, Yorkshire pud, baby carrots and lovely roast potatoes. An apple and plum crumble. All washed down with a couple pints of very well kept Spitfire. What a nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Then home for a snooze on the sofa while Wendy read her daily book. She can and does read a book a day if she has the time. It takes me a week to do the same.

No comments: