Friday 16 March 2007

O Ikea... how do you do what you do ?.

Today I paid a visit to Ikea in Croydon. I wanted to look at their range of kitchens as they are good value for money and they are very well designed. As ever it was crowed, I have never been there when it is empty. As you may know Ikea have a novel way of shopping, where you have to walk through every dept no matter what you want. Clever, because if you are like me, you never know really what you want. Anyway, to the kitchens, they do look good for the money that they cost. I have chosen one called Sorbo a dark grey with birch. That will be ordered next week. Then to the market place, an aladdin's cave of things. Glasses plates, pictures. I got some very nice vanilla scented candles. There is no harm in being in touch with your feminine side.
Then to the tills. Those of you who know Ikea know that this is where the fun starts...new friends are made. The thing that keeps you happy is that they have put a hot dog stand just the other side of the tills. A combo meal for £1.50, great value.
Whenever you leave Ikea you wonder just how they do it, really wonderful looking things at democratic prices. And a fact that I found out the other day, the chap that started and owns Ikea and who is worth £10.000.000.000 drives a 1992 Volvo estate.
Now there's class.........

5 comments:

y.Wendy.y said...

The really classy rich people are those who are comfortable enough with their wealth not to have to flaunt it..I like that attitude very much...I also adore vanilla-scented candles..my fave bubble bath accompaniment. And guess where I got them? Yup. IKEA. Smashing things. Hot dogs are good too, as long as they have EVERYTHING on it...all drippy, sloppy, yummy and dee-lish.

martin said...

So right with the true classy people not having to wear their wealth like a badge. So there's another thing we have in common, ducking heads and vanilla candles. As for the hot dog, don't even go there.

A wildlife gardener said...

Yup! I always spend lots in IKEA! Hate the drearily long check-outs though! But I'm still using one of their giant blue bags I bought years ago for all my weekly food shopping. It fits the trolley and I just bung everything in...and no more fiddly bags to empty, just the one, though it takes my big strong hubbie to lift it out of the boot of the car and into the kitchen.

Z said...

I've never been to Ikea.

Anonymous said...

Ikea - ahh, Ikea. Sadly, Exeter turned down the opportunity to have one here some years ago, so it's Bristol for us. And I like the idea of the old Volvo - good on 'im, I says. :)